Saturday, January 22, 2011

How Does One Handle Betrayal?

Maybe I'm feeling sorry for myself.
Maybe it's because I'm sitting home alone, again, on a weekend.
Maybe because it's been a weird/ironic weekend.

A few years ago, I dealt with a situation that broke my heart.
I know now, that things are the way they were meant to be.
It's taken me a long time to completely 'get over' those
feelings. When I dealt with this situation, I felt so betrayed.
This person was my best friend. My heart had been ripped from
my chest. I had a hole a mile deep and it often hurt to breathe.
Time passed and continued. I pushed forward. No matter how much
it hurt.

Over time that hole has healed, but not completely. It would
occasionally get raw around the edges with reminders and memories,
but it started to heal.

This last summer, I thought this hole could be completely filled.
To the point of over-flowing. And, in a split moment - it happened again.

All of a sudden, all these feelings came slashing and clawing their
way back into their hole. Deep inside my chest.

HOW in the world does someone deal with this?! I'm realizing that
this is what the Book of Mormon talks about when it mentions
'hardening of your heart.' Our very own Pres. Kim B. Clark gave a
talk recently about that. Poisons like betrayal seep deep inside
our hearts, twisting its way inside you and hardening the muscles.
To a point where you can't feel anything. You become completely
desensitized and unfeeling.

Nowadays, it is a constant battle for me to keep the poison from
taking hold and seeping deep.

3 comments:

  1. Minus the fact that this post really tugs on my heart strings and makes me hurt for/with you, it is a really good post in the essence of your writing. Your use of words and analogies are very well put together. Very good writing... from a very good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just a compilation of things I've already heard. Nothing special, just how I feel and getting it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, I totally understand all the emotions in this. Im so sorry that it happened to someone as beautiful and caring as you! I wish I had sound advice, but since Im trying to figure the same thing out, I cant impart anything. I hope you know that you can talk to me any time :) I love ya Jess!

    ReplyDelete